selfupdate fails trying to synch with openmodelica (!)

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 9 21:01:04 PDT 2014

On July 9, 2014 11:33:27 PM EDT, Jerry <lanceboyle at qwest.net> wrote:

>On Jul 9, 2014, at 4:53 PM, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> On July 9, 2014 7:15:21 PM EDT, Jerry <lanceboyle at qwest.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 9, 2014, at 6:15 AM, Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E.
><dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>  It seems that the openmodelica.org is back up, so the sync should
>work again (at least it does for me)
>>
>> Problem solved when openmodelica.org came back.
>>
>> Maybe someday the openmodelica folks could make an official port file
>for macports instead of dumping a GB load on people's disk which
>duplicates in most cases stuff that they already have.
>>
>> Thanks, everyone.
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>> macports-users mailing list
>> macports-users at lists.macosforge.org
>>
>> I don't think those are related. They made a port file, they just
>keep it on their own server. If they moved the port, and all the files
>to macport.org, that would not change the size of the download. There
>are some required dependencies and they get installed when you install
>it. That would not change with an "official" port.
>> The only change is then installation would be slightly easier, since
>the port is in macports already.
>>
>> --Adam
>
>I was assuming that, since many dependencies service more than one
>port, a "proper" macports port of openmodelica would, in many cases,
>cause less additional disk storage than their standalone package
>derived from macports. For example, openmodelica uses Qt; Qt is also
>used by many other ports, so the Qt bundled with their standalone
>package would be redundant and wasteful. Yes, of one does not have
>MacPorts already installed then the standalone approach would be more
>efficient.
>
>I may have used "port file" incorrectly. Sorry of that caused
>confusion. I meant only to suggest that they provide an official
>MacPorts way to install their software achievable by port install
>openmodelica.
>
>Jerry
>
>--
>believed to be clean.

No.  They do use existing standard ports.  So openmodelica does require certain macporys dependencies, not its own separate copies. I don't know about Qt, and don't have access to check at the moment.  But, my guess is that they are using the standard macport Qt, not a redundant one.  I know that for a bunch of other things they just use the macport port so there is no redundancy.  They have even worked on some ports to get them upgraded to get things to work together.  The only reason that I could see any redundant versions is if they require some specific version that macports doesn't have.  And doing that would be tricky to avoid any conflicting versions.
I think that you have a bit of a misunderstanding.  You could, for example create your own port file of something, and just keep that file locally (see the macport instructions).  That port could then have other dependencies that are included with macports.  All they have done is put their port file, instead, on their server, and you can then use it by adding it to your sources file.  No redundant files involved, and no extra disk space.  A port file is just a text file that explains where to find files, and how to build.  Part of that "how" is what other ports are required to be installed.  If someone were able to copy the current port file from their server to macports the build would be identical in size and dependents.
My guess is that the reason they haven't done that is because the release version is a bit behind, and the develop version is changing every day.  But I don't know for sure.

--Adam