Trouble with Mailman install

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Thu Jul 10 21:11:16 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2014, at 2:20 PM, Bill Christensen <
> billc_lists at greenbuilder.com> wrote:
>
> > I changed the setting in MacPorts' file from --with-mail-gid=_mailman to
> --with-mail-gid=staff and attempted to reinstall, but I'm getting an error
> that it's "Unable to open port - invalid command name
> '--with-mail-gid=staff'".
>
> You have a syntax error in your portfile. Perhaps you forgot to add the
> backslash at the end of the preceding line. If you show us the
> modifications you made, we made be able to be more precise.

Ok, got it.  I had put a comment line directly above --with-mail-gid=staff
to remind myself what I had done.  I had to pull that out of the
"configure.args" block.  It also appears to work better if I abstract it a
bit by using;

       set mmgroup2            staff

then after the note to myself so I can revert if needed, change the
--with-mail-gid as below

       #BC MOD was --with-mail-gid=${mmgroup} \

      configure.args

                        --with-mail-gid=${mmgroup2} \

Those were the only changes I made.

Though it installs now, it's still throwing errors:

Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail

wrapper script to be executed as group "_mailman", but

the system's mail server executed the mail script as

group "staff".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the

script as group "_mailman", or re-run configure,

providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=staff'.