Startup tasks

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Thu Jul 10 22:50:44 PDT 2014

Hi all,

More fun in my upgrade from OS 10.8.5 to 10.9.4.

Though I've followed all the instructions presented while installing I'm
getting spotty coverage on the starting of various services on reboot.  For
instance, Apache, MySQL55 and Mailman all start on boot up.  However,
though there are symlink items in /Library/LaunchDaemons for Fetchmail and
PostgreSQL93 (org.macports.fetchmail.plist and
org.macports.postgresql93-server.plist), and they will both start with
manual commands, neither starts on boot.

My current Fetchmail start command (run as a regular user) is:

/opt/local/bin/fetchmail -d 500 --fetchmailrc /etc/fetchmailrc --nodetach
--nosyslog

I've tried setting it up on Webmin so I can start it that way in a pinch (I
can start PostgreSQL that way now), but even though I've set the Webmin
config to run the daemon as a plain vanilla user and have chown'ed
fetchmailrc to that user I'm getting:

Failed to start fetchmail : fetchmail: WARNING: Running as root is
discouraged. File /etc/fetchmailrc must be owned by you.

so even that isn't working.

Of course I'd much rather that both PostgreSQL and Fetchmail kick off on
bootup.

Any clues welcome.