Strange p5-perl-tidy upgrade to p5.12-perl-tidy (not to p5.16-perl-tidy)

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri andreas.kahari at bils.se
Wed Jul 23 06:16:31 PDT 2014

On 23 Jul 2014, at 15:04, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2014, at 7:58 AM, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri wrote:
>
>> I’m using perltidy from p5-perl-tidy (depends on p5.16-perl-tidy), but when I decided to run a “port upgrade installed” I noticed that it was “upgraded” to p5.12-perl-tidy (which also pulled in the previously uninstalled perl5.12 port).
>>
>> This confuses me, especially since the p5-perl-tidy port explicitly says "Replaced by: p5.16-perl-tidy”.
>
> Confuses me too. There's nothing special about the p5-perl-tidy port to account for this, and the perl5 1.0 portgroup hasn't been changed since January. "sudo port selfupdate" and try again?
>
> Also, uninstall p5-perl-tidy (and any other p5-* stub port you may have installed) and just install the p5.16-* version (or whichever perl version you want).

Did this, which seems to be the right solution. I was hoping that by installing the versionless p5- ports I would always get the latest version of the port when upgrading. I’ll scrap that idea.

Also thanks for the “port installed” tip. I’m a new MacPorts user and haven’t quite found my way around the ins and outs of the port command.

Cheers!