issues after installed qt4-mac+debug

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 05:17:00 PDT 2014

Hi René,

On 26/07/2014, at 9:12 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2014, at 12:14, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> * don't use the +debug variant of qt4-mac, and
>
> Forgot. It might be useful to add a variant to the KDE portgroup (or the cmake portgroup, to extend the feature beyond KDE) that uses -DCMAKE_TYPE:STRING=RelWithDebInfo . Possibly attempting to make sure binaries aren't stripped by adding -DCMAKE_STRIP:FILEPATH=/bin/echo . That doesn't really give the best debuggability but at least one can get sensible backtraces.

There was this discussion on macports-dev:
https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2014-June/027145.html
preceded by a few remarks in a couple of messages on a KDE-Mac thread:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-mac/2014-June/001134.html

The ideas are still lying on the table, waiting for somebody to pick them
up and run with them…

Meanwhile, I wonder if you could inveigle -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug
into KDE's or CMake's portgroup file somehow…  It will give you full symbol
tables, as I expect you know.

As I said in the discussion referred to above, it is quite possible to build some
parts of a build-tree in debug mode and other parts not.

The only thing preventing it in MacPorts AFAICS is the globality of variants.  But
there were some ideas in the above discussion for breaking that requirement in
the case of +debug and +docs.

Cheers, Ian W.