cmake portgroup RelWithDebInfo variant?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:01:46 PDT 2014

On 29/07/2014, at 8:42 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2014, at 00:33, Ian Wadham wrote:
> +debug already uses -DCMAKE_TYPE=Debug, so there's no need for different +symbols variants. Also, the difference between Debug and RelWithDebInfo is a bit more complicated than you appear to think. There's indeed a difference in the amount of available debug info, but that's because the former doesn't use optimisation (which doesn't allow full debug information). It's thus different from the debug level selector in Xcode.

I found this, which might interest you (reference + extract):
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2006-February/008371.html

    # Set a default build type for single-configuration
    # CMake generators if no build type is set.
    IF(NOT CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES AND NOT CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE)
       SET(CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE RelWithDebInfo)
    ENDIF(NOT CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES AND NOT CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE)

    # Select flags.
    SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "-Wall -fno-rtti")
    SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO "-O2 -g")
    SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE "-O2")
    SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG  "-O0 -g")

Interestingly, the questioner in that email was Alexander Neundorf, who is
one of the top KDE build gurus these days.

Cheers, Ian W.