Having trouble starting gnome-terminal on Mavericks

David Evans devans at macports.org
Mon Jun 2 13:19:48 PDT 2014

On 6/2/14 12:57 PM, jsg72 at mac.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve been told that I should send mail here to help diagnose a problem
> with gnome-terminal.  I’m running OSX 10.9.3, XQuartz 2.7.6, and Xcode
> 5.1.1, which should be the latest version of everything.  When I run
> gnome-terminal, it starts XQuartz if it’s not already running, but
> then it dies with the error shown below.  I’ve been through
> instructions on `port notes dbus`, but it didn’t help.  It seems that
> dbus is running, but it’s having trouble with gnome-terminal.
>
> Do you have any advice?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

As Brandon has said,  gnome-terminal's backend factory is failing on
startup when started via dbus.  However, it appears to work fine when
started manually.  I think this is an upstream problem but I haven't
been able to nail it down as yet.

The work-around is to execute these commands in sequence to start the
initial gnome-terminal:

$ /opt/local/libexec/gnome-terminal-server &
$ gnome-terminal

You need to execute the second command before the gnome-terminal-server
times out (a few seconds) so it's probably best to put these
in a starter script.

Please do me a favor and submit a ticket for this problem so we can
track the solution process.

Thanks,

Dave