Package open-cobol not working for me

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 3 23:44:59 PDT 2014

On Jun 3, 2014, at 8:24 PM, Eric Gallager wrote:

> open-cobol is actually a source-to-source compiler (or "transpiler") that compiles to C code, and then uses the host C compiler to compile the generated C code, which means that something that looks like an open-cobol error might actually be an error with your host compiler. By the error message, it looks like OP is using the clang that comes with Mavericks/Xcode 5, which has gotten overly strict about what it accepts recently, and which I do not use anyways (because I am still on Snow Leopard), so I will not be able to reproduce your error (my /opt/local/bin/cobc successfully compiles the example source file into a runnable executable on my machine).

You might be able to reproduce the problem on Snow Leopard if you rebuild open-cobol with configure.compiler=macports-clang-3.5 (or -3.4). Even without doing so, you can confirm that the file /opt/local/bin/cob-config installed by open-cobol contain the -R argument, which as I understand it is never used on OS X.