ktimetracker and akonadi's googlecontacts/googlecalendar

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 12:54:00 PDT 2014

On Jun 04, 2014, at 20:05, Nicolas Pavillon wrote:

> I don’t think I could do that in this case. I had typically missed the use of kioslaves in kdepim* ports, so that I disabled them to enable the binary distribution, at the cost of usability of some programs as you pointed out later. This then implies that kdepim* ports are already not distributable through their dependency to kioslaves, so that trying to change anything with other components would not change anything in practice.

But those are all runtime dependencies on executables, not shared libraries/plugins. If you can't have code that can make use of LGPL3+ applications when they're present, then ultimately Apple couldn't even distribute their OS or at least the kernel in binary form ...
Put in other words, most of the kdepim-runtime components are under a mix LGPL2 and BSD licenses, the fact that it has hooks to enlist LGPL3+ applications clearly does not impose that license onto it.

I'm not a lawyer (and thus cordially fed up with all those licensing issues ;) ) but I think that splitting the politically incorrect components into a source-only port is a more than reasonable enough effort to comply with Apple's wishes.