Why isn't clang-3.4 updated?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Jun 7 10:18:40 PDT 2014

Hi,

>    [me:~]$ sudo port installed | grep clang-3.4
>    clang-3.4 @3.4_0+analyzer+assertions+python27
>    clang-3.4 @3.4_2+analyzer+arm_runtime+assertions
>    clang-3.4 @3.4_3+analyzer+arm_runtime+assertions (active)
>    clang-3.4 @3.4_4+analyzer+arm_runtime+assertions
>    clang-3.4 @3.4-r193358_0+analyzer+assertions+python27
>    clang-3.4 @3.4-r193941_0+analyzer+assertions+python27
>    clang-3.4 @3.4-r195772_0+analyzer+assertions+python27
>    clang-3.4 @3.4-r197314_0+analyzer+assertions+python27
>    clang-3.4 @3.4-r198150_0+analyzer+assertions+python27
>
> Of course I tried cleaning clang-3.4 but still same thing.
> What's going on?

This is a lesser known feature of MacPorts: You have the newest available
version of clang installed, but deactivated. Instead, an older version is
active. MacPorts assumes you did that manually (I don't think this can
happen automatically anyway) and ignores the upgrade.

This allows you to keep a port at an older version when you installed a
new one and found it to be broken. To fix this:
 (1) upgrade with -f (and possibly also -n to avoid re-installing
     dependencies)
 (2) activate clang-3.4 @3.4_4+analyzer+arm_runtime+assertions, which will
     automatically deactivate the old version
Unless you need all those older versions it's probably also a good idea to
do some housekeeping and uninstall all those inactive ports to save some
space (looking at the number of inactive ports you have, very likely on the
scale of gigabytes). To do that, run sudo port uninstall inactive.

--
Clemens Lang