z88 Aurora

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Jun 7 10:34:26 PDT 2014

Hi,

> z88 Aurora is open source finite element software and the installation places
> files in /opt/local. Before proceeding with the installation, I wanted to
> check with the users group to see if this will interfere with my macports
> installation?

Yes, it is a problem if the installer puts files into the MacPorts prefix. This
often happens when developers use MacPorts to build installer packages, but
don't know that they should configure MacPorts to a custom location other than
/opt/local for that. Note that other directories in /opt that are *not*
/opt/local, e.g. /opt/z88 are fine for use by other projects (and in fact the
right place to put stuff).

Please notify the developers of z88 Aurora about this, if you can.

Writing files into the MacPorts prefix leads to problems such as those
described in the ProblemHotlist at
  http://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#xmlwf

--
Clemens Lang