Error in Boost shared_ptr.h

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 7 21:51:04 PDT 2014

On Jun 7, 2014, at 12:03 AM, Ryan Woo wrote:

> I am getting this runtime error:
>
> "
> Assertion failed: (px != 0), function operator*, file /usr/local/boost_1_44_0/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp, line 412.
> Abort trap"
>
> With Boost 1.44.0 and icu4c 4.3.4. and Code::Blocks compiler. Running on Mac OS X 10.6.8.
>
> I have tried updating to the latest versions of both libraries, however still no dice. However, with Boost 1.55, the runtime error cites a different line (don't quite remember what line number, but it was in the 500s).
>
> I know that this wasn't a problem on icu4c 4.3.4 before, which is why I am using it. However, when I try gnumake check, I am getting a couple errors. I don't know if its part of the reason for the above error or not.
>
> The program we are trying to run used to use Boost 1.38. I've found a couple solutions including one that says there may be a discrepancy between which version of boost the linker and includer are using. However, there's only one version of boost on my computer. The compiler and linker are both set to the directories mentioned when I installed Boost. Could it be that somewhere else, one of those is still looking for Boost 1.38? If so, where?
>
> I've also found that it could be due to a pointer being improperly initialized, but I am reluctant to go down that road since it used to work (and still works with the older versions of boost on ubuntu) and since it would require me to rewrite quite a bit of code.
>
> Any thoughts on how to fix the problem?
>
> Also, please let me know if I am in the wrong place to ask this question. This is my first time using this list!

This list is for getting help with MacPorts itself or software that's installed using MacPorts.

Your error message refers to something installed in /usr/local (allegedly a copy of boost 1.44.0); this would not be a location where MacPorts installs anything.

Do you also have the MacPorts boost port installed, currently version 1.55.0? If so, then you have at least two copies of boost installed.

You also talk about icu 4.3.4, which I'm guessing was also manually compiled by you. The version of icu provided by MacPorts today is 51.2.

You also talk about "a program" you're trying to run without elaborating what that program is. Is it a program you wrote? Some other program you've compiled, or gotten pre-compiled from elsewhere?

Without much more detail, it's hard to advise, but so far it does not sound like a MacPorts problem to me.