Migration questions

Stephen Langer stephen.langer at nist.gov
Fri Jun 13 14:05:17 PDT 2014

On 6/13/14, 4:55 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2014, at 10:48 AM, Stephen Langer <stephen.langer at nist.gov> wrote:
>
>> I upgraded my Mac at work from 10.7 to 10.9 yesterday.  Xcode was still being downloaded when I left in the evening.  When I got home I downloaded and installed macports using the migration instructions, except that I installed it using the 'installer' command instead of the gui, since I was logged in remotely.  I ran xcode-select --install and agreed to the license.  Everything went smoothly, except that later macports issued warnings about not finding the xcode command line tools for each port that I installed although all of the ports seemed to install properly (there were no failure messages).
>>
>> When I got to work this morning I saw that "xcode-select --install" raises a dialog box that I hadn't seen (being logged in remotely) and that the command line tools probably weren't installed after all.
>
> Correct, "xcode-select --install" displays a GUI dialog box that you must click with the mouse in order to install the new command line tools. Alternately, you can download the command line tools installer from the Apple developer web site and install it with "installer".
>

>> So either none of the ports I installed were built from source, or they were built using the old versions of the command line tools.
>
> Yes, either of those possibilities is possible. If you noticed a "pkg" file being downloaded and installed, then a pre-built binary was used; if instead you noticed a tarball or zipball being downloaded, checksummed, extracted, patched, configured, built, destrooted, installed and activated, then it was built from source. If you did not notice at the time which of those occurred, MacPorts does not record this information anywhere, so it's not possible to know afterward which of these happened.
>

>> How does macports know whether the command line tools are installed? Would it have noticed if the tools were merely out of date?
>
> It doesn't really know. If they aren't installed, or are old, a build might fail.
>

>> Should I reinstall the ports that were built from source?  How can I find out which ones those were?   I'd rather not reinstall everything, but I could do that if necessary.
>
> If ports installed successfully before, I wouldn't bother reinstalling them.
>

>> I'm asking because I program that I'm working on is behaving strangely on this computer, but not on another one also running 10.9.
>
> Could you be more specific about the problems you're experiencing?

Not easily.  It's a large program that uses pygtk and a lot of
home-built python and C++, and it's intermittently failing its test
suite in a way that I've never seen before.  It doesn't fail the tests
on a MacBook Pro that has always had 10.9, and it didn't fail on the Mac
Pro before I upgraded to 10.9 and reinstalled macports.

Thanks,
     Steve