infinality patches

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 06:05:34 PDT 2014

On Jun 24, 2014, at 11:14, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

So creating a freetype+infinality variant was rather straightforward once I obtained the right patchfiles from bohoomil's github repo.
I didn't think of making a screenshot before installing the variant, but I don't think it's wishful thinking to claim that rendering under X11 looks better with this variant installed. Surprisingly even with the "Lucida Medium 7" font, which is present as a bitmap  font.

http://rjvbertin.free.fr/Images/Infinality-comparison.png

What is not changed is the difference in size for the same font point size. xdpyinfo reports my screen as 96x96dpi, so running with the settings from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/pkgbuild/01_freetype2-iu/infinality-settings.sh ought to be OK. Yet the same font at 11 point is quite larger than it is under OS X (and KDE). Setting Xft.dpi to 72 brings the sizes almost up to par, but the rendering appears "squashed" vertically under X11. Not by much, but just noticeably so. At more usual sizes the differences are less noticeable.

Any idea why the display behaves as if it's a 72dpi while it claims to be 96 - or is it actually the OS X/Cocoa font rendering that is calibrated (if not hardcoded) for 72dpi?

R.