where does macports' sshd write its logging info?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 07:45:11 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 2:25 AM, Alan <gorzarg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure where macports' sshd writes its logging info. (e.g. for
> ubuntu, sshd writes it to /var/log/auth.log.)
>
> Is there a similar file for macports?

sshd logs via the system syslog facility. On most Linuxes, this means files
under /var/log as specified by some variant of /etc/syslog.conf --- but
there are a number of syslogd variants. In my Fedora 19 VM it's rsyslogd
and the primary control file is /etc/rsyslogd.conf. I don't recall what
Ubuntu uses off the top of my head.

Apple replaced syslog with the Apple System Log facility, and you use
/Applications/Utilities/Console.app to view them from the GUI or the syslog
command to view from terminal. `man syslog` for details, including pointers
to config files that will tell you how it emulates traditional syslogd and
where it routes messages with facility AUTH and severity INFO or higher.