build error x264 on OS X 10.9.1

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 07:26:15 PST 2014

On Mar 01, 2014, at 15:55, Clemens Lang wrote:

>> Building with configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7 succeeds fine.
>>
>> Is this a bug I should report?
>
> Yes, this is a bug you should report. Maybe updating the port to a more recent version would fix the problem.

20130823 is the latest version, from what I can see.

>> (Or should I make an "official" suggestion to
>> use gcc everywhere where Apple-specific options aren't required as long as
>> clang isn't completely ready to be the main compiler on linux? ;) )
>
> Due to the whole C++ libc++ situation, this is not going to happen. Clang will be our main compiler suite, and switching now and getting the bugs that still exist fixed is the correct thing to do. Clang is not going away, but GCC on OS X already has.

I don't know what "whole C++ libc++" situation you're referring to, I was just thinking that a large majority of the available ports are (or seem to be) things developed for Linux, and as such using the Linux default compiler would probably facilitate matters (cf. Gentoo Prefix). OTOH, I have never managed yet to get even gcc-4.8 to build with -march=native on my Core i7 CPU (or maybe I should say to get it to emit code that the linker could handle).
But I see your point. Too bad Apple chose a compiler that may be much faster and have nice analysis but has yet to beat gcc on any of my tests involving lengthy (computing) operations ...