build error x264 on OS X 10.9.1

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 09:43:46 PST 2014

Hi,

On Mar 01, 2014, at 17:29, Clemens Lang wrote:

Frankly, for my own stuff (which never gets beyond my own machines in binary form) I couldn't care less about copyright issues, I don't understand the concept of different flavours of free ;)

>> with 10.9. So if you're writing C++ code for OS X, you'll have to use clang++ -stdlib=libc++ as soon as you link against a single other C++ library or export a C++ interface.

For now apps using X11 seem fine, but I haven't tried much yet.

> Btw, on getting GCC use your Core i7 capabilities: That will probably not happen either, because the GNU as shipped by Apple doesn't support AVX instructions – clang is currently the only compiler able to use AVX instructions on OS X.

Wasn't counting on it anyway.

> So in general, GCC is pretty much dead on newer versions of OS X and you should really have very very very good reasons to attempt to use anything but clang.

Performance is such a reason in my book, as I said, in just about any test I've done clang-generated code performs consistently (and sometimes probably significantly) worse than gcc-generated code does. I don't know to what extent clang does auto-vectorisation, but I've been impressed by the progress made in that domain by gcc (I've already seen an auto-vectorised version of a "scalar" video format conversion function from Perian outperform the hand-coded SSE2 version by almost a factor 10). Fortunately we're no longer living in times where a few percents in performance gain or loss were actually noticeable in common use scenarios!
I also find gcc's error messages to be much more readable (though less so in the more recent versions).