building kde4-baseapps

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Mar 3 17:35:57 PST 2014

On 4 Mar 2014, at 4:00 am, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:

>> I think that is pretty much out of the question, unless you run a virtual
>> machine.  I am not sure where Linux is up to with dual-booting on Mac.
>> When I last looked, about two years ago, it was possible with Windows
>> (using Apple's Boot Camp) but not with Linux.
>
> It is trivial to make Linux boot on a Mac - I have a number of Mac Pros booting into Ubuntu at work. Either single, double or triple (or more) boot. Same hard drive or different ones. You can use rEFIt for help in choosing a boot partition.

Actually it is extraordinarily non trivial:

I have an iMac 27.
OpenSuse - does not see the USB at all
Arch - EFI boot and boots sweetly
Ubuntu - does not see the USB - many methods to make USB including http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-mac-osx
XUbuntu - does see the USB (thats bizare, many checks - it’s true!) but after boot ‘cannot find a live filesystem')

Every USB stick works elsewhere even on EFI bios machines :-(
James