[MacPorts] #42672: x264 @20130823_0: universal build failure on Apple clang, i386 issues.

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 07:59:43 PST 2014

On Mar 05, 2014, at 09:55, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> environment variables to build each architecture, if desired. It is not possible to specify different variants for each architecture; variants apply to the port as a whole.

But I presume it would be possible to have architecture-specific options for a variant? If so, what I was suggesting as (temporary) fix, was to tweak the i386-specific asm options to render it harmless.

> Is it the case that the asm variant only works for the x86_64 architecture?

Apparently, yes.

> If so, my proposed fix would be that the asm variant only be selectable if x86_64 is within the architectures that will be built, and if so, to only apply to that architecture and not any others.

Are we saying the same thing?

The other way of looking at it is this: is there a reason NOT to use the asm variant (at least for x86_64)? I suppose it exists for performance reasons, and if justifiable it could in that case be the default. In this case (and until the i386 issue is fixed), it would be activated for the x86_64 part, but not for i386. That would at least get rid of the suggestion that asm is used for all architectures.
One could keep the +asm variant (which would lead to a pure i386 build), and one might add a +noasm variant (that would disable the asm parts in the x86_64 binaries) if there are usage cases that are incompatible with the asm code.

Again, this would only make sense if the asm option is purelyinternal, without introducing changes to the library's ABI...