building kde4(-baseapps)

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 03:20:53 PDT 2014

I've been making some progress, using gcc-4.2 and tweaking Portfiles where required. Lots of apps appear to be nicely functional, even, including Kate and Konsole. (I had an issue with KWrite, but since I hardly ever used it I dropped it). I should say that I built Kate, Konsole and a number of others "by hand", not using port.

KMail works, except for the settings dialog, which shows an empty and very narrow left side-bar, and an otherwise empty window with just the button row on the bottom. It built without issues with the other kdepim apps, so I wonder if this is a known issue?

I had some initial luck building PyKDE4 by hand, though I'm not sure if it is functional. WHen I tried to build it again this morning with my /usr/local tree moved aside, I got stuck on hard-coded, non-conditional references to X11 that I didn't know what to do with.

The same references seem to be biting me building kde4-workspace by hand. I'd like to have at least the systemsettings tool, and if I'd be curious to see how kwin works .. as an X11 window manager :)