usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?

Art McGee amcgee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:12:38 PDT 2014

Terry Barnum <terry at dop.com> wrote:

> The freeswitch devs are updating the Mac section of their wiki and are
> claiming that homebrew is more widely supported between platforms. They are
> reluctant to add information on using macports for freeswitch dependencies
> because a) they don't want to support what they don't know, and b) (they
> imply) they don't receive requests for freeswitch + macports.
>
> I guess I'm just looking to satisfy my own curiosity and maybe gain some
> info to counter with.

Judging by this thread:

http://lists.freeswitch.org/pipermail/freeswitch-users/2014-March/103451.html

The problem is that the presentation of the case for supporting MacPorts
was confusing and unconvincing, so usage statistics are not going to help
in that matter.

You have to give a clear and reasonable explanation as to why they should
bother, when they already have a method that works.

Truthfully, the better option is for you and the other MacPorts users in
that community to take on the task of creating a port for Freeswitch, so
that future installs and updates will be easy and seamless.

Art