Vim upgrade in latest MacPorts lost gvim

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 21:52:02 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 09:09:47PM +0100, Clemens Lang wrote:

> vim-app is an old Carbon-based version of a GUI for vim. It does not
> work on anything newer than 10.6.

Carbon ... that's what the source for vim/gvim (from the net) griped
about---it said that Carbon was out of date and therefore failed to build
the GUI part of vim (i.e., gvim, which is just a hard link to vim).  I
remember that now that you mentioned Carbon.

> The best GUI for Macs probably is MacVim (from the equally named port),
> which uses a native GUI.

But is MacVim the vim/gvim distro from vim.org?  Or is it some variant
that may or may not support all of what vim/gvim does?  Honestly, I have
no idea, and this is a real question.....  One thing I'm wondering about
is its use in an xterm, or from, say, within Mutt as the default editor
for composing e-mail in Mutt, which I've never seen configured to use
(never leaving the xterm that Mutt was run from) the GUI (nor do I think
I'd want to).

For now, I'll stick with normal vim/gvim available from the slightly-older
port version.  I don't use the GUI version often---I normally just use
vim in an xtermn, but every now and then, features in gvim that vim
doesn't have are very useful.  That's all IMHO, of course.  :-)

Thanks,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0