py27-gst-python, targeting gstreamer1 vs gstreamer010

Jim DeLaHunt from.macosforge at jdlh.com
Thu Mar 13 18:33:52 PDT 2014

Hello, MacPorts:

Many thanks to all the mantainers who have provided the neat ports I use.

I'm just starting to use gstreamer (a media processing library) via
Python-language bindings. Gstreamer has two supported versions, which
can be installed side-by-side: 0.1.x and 1.x. MacPorts offers ports
"gstreamer010" and "gstreamer1", corresponding to these top-level
versions (with some related ports of plugins etc.)

MacPorts also has a port "py27-gst-python", which provides Python
bindings to gstreamer 0.1.x. Cool!  However, I'd prefer Python
bindings to gstreamer 1.x.

Is there a port which is like py27-gst-python, but for gstreamer1 instead?

Given that there are two gstreamer versions, is the appropriate
structure for Python language bindings to have two different ports,
one for each version?

In a two-port situation, what should the gstreamer1 Python binding
port be named?

Is "py27-gst-python" the best name for a two-port situation, given
that its name doesn't hint at being related to gstreamer010?  Or, if
the right approach is to create a sibling of py27-gst-python for
gstreamer1, does it make sense to rename py27-gst-python as well?

(I'd post this as a Trac issue against py27-gst-python, but
trac.macports.org seems to be unavailable right now.)

Thanks in advance for your insight,
--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       157-2906 West Broadway, Vancouver BC V6K 2G8, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953