usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?

Terry Barnum terry at dop.com
Fri Mar 14 12:09:16 PDT 2014

Hi Art and Mojca.

My comments are below. Since I don't think this is really a macports issue per se, I'd be happy to continue the discussion off-list but I don't really have much more to add.

On Mar 14, 2014, at 1:27 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> A way more convincing argument would be
>    "one can install it in MacPorts with 'port install freeswitch'"

As I said below previously, I don't disagree.

>> I agree this would be the best solution but the effort to convert their build process to a port is beyond me. They include many additional source packages in their source so I assume it would require time and effort to coordinate with the devs for version control of these.
>
> What packages?

Depends on the modules that have been selected.

>> My hope is/was as a starting point to use macports for the handful of external dependencies, showing them that it could be an easy and viable method for Mac users to build freeswitch. Once they saw that there were few macports support issues they then might be open to a freeswitch port.
>
> Why shoud *they* (who are not even macports users themselves) be
> interested in creating or maintaining a port?

I wasn't suggesting that the freeswitch devs create or maintain a port. Apologies if it read that way. How about, "...they might be open to a freeswitch port *and the time for communication and coordination that might be needed.*"

> Convincing them to add "hundred" lines of build instructions using
> dependencies from MacPorts instead of Homebrew is counterproductive in
> my opinion.

No convincing necessary, the build process already accommodates macports with CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.

> Take a look at the attached Portfile. You can also open an ticket on
> trac and start from there. You probably need to add different
> configure flags (I guess that the following defaults are not
> desirable):
>
>      certsdir:        /opt/local/certs
>      dbdir:           /opt/local/db
>      grammardir:      /opt/local/grammar
>      htdocsdir:       /opt/local/htdocs
>      logfiledir:      /opt/local/log
>      modulesdir:      /opt/local/mod
>      pkgconfigdir:    ${exec_prefix}/lib/pkgconfig
>      recordingsdir:   /opt/local/recordings
>      runtimedir:      /opt/local/run
>      scriptdir:       /opt/local/scripts
>      soundsdir:       /opt/local/sounds
>      storagedir:      /opt/local/storage
>
> but you can always ask the mailing list for help if there is something
> you don't understand.

Thanks Mojca.

-Terry

> Mojca