gcc-mp-4.8 -march=native fails

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 02:44:43 PDT 2014

On Tuesday March 18 2014 09:43:57 Vincent Habchi wrote:
> If you want to use the -march=native switch, use Clang instead (LLVM-AS handles new extensions correctly).

Or use -march=native -no-avx , or simply -march=core2 if you insist on having AVX.

Note that when your code isn't optimised for using SIMD instructions you'll likely see very little benefit from using the full instruction set. In fact, in the testing I did I got better floating point performance using gcc 4.7 with -march=core2 than with clang 3.3 with -march=native . I *think* clang still doesn't have a (good) auto-vectorisation engine, while gcc's has become quite impressive IMHO.

-march=core2 will also give a binary that will execute on just about any Mac since 2010 or so.