usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Mar 18 10:54:45 PDT 2014

On Mar 18, 2014, at 1:36 PM, Arno Hautala <arno at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
>> - homebrew doesn't try as hard as MacPorts to make builds reproducible. If you install vim, it'll use the first python available. When that's system python it uses that, if it's homebrew python it'll use that (and if its MacPorts python, well you get the idea)
>
> I'm pretty sure they consider this a strength. "I already have Python!
> Why is MacPorts trying to install a new version!?"

in fact, the reason I /first/ started using MacPorts (which had a different name at that time ;-) ), was because it would use the system provided perl/python/other stuff.

Of course, time and experience proved that things work better without having to scramble and fix things any time Apple issues an update the changes things (or is broken in some way).

> Overall, I feel like HomeBrew came around when MacPorts was
> established to the point where enough people were using it that there
> were plenty of complaints about one feature or another and HomeBrew
> was able to capitalize on that. GitHub was the new exciting place to
> be as well.

GitHub plus not having to learn/use tcl seem to be the major features that pull people/create interest from what I've seen (but I haven't looked in on it in a while).

--
Daniel J. Luke