usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Tue Mar 18 12:27:40 PDT 2014

They seemed to acquire a lot of traction on the basis of marketing; specifically:
	- Truthiness (an assortment of “advantages” that turned out not to be, claims that ignored technical accuracy and nuance, and claims quite simply rooted in ignorance), and
	- Outright negative advertising (“MacPorts driving you to drink?”)

It’s a new brand of open-source that I don’t really recognize and can’t say I like; it detracts from the community’s ability to collaborate productivity, and undermines the objective, rational honesty that should be at the core of any engineering endeavor.

I don’t really know how to raise the level of discourse; it’s far more expensive to counter to truthiness and negativity than it is to generate it in the first place. Nowadays, people who have never even used MacPorts will repeat verbatim the negative advertising propagated by Homebrew.

I find the whole thing distasteful.

-landonf