usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Tue Mar 18 15:49:14 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:

> > * More use of ANSI colors in the log messages (used to distinguish the
> start
> > of each port, etc., and maybe with different colors for different
> phases)...
> > all tunable, of course, for those who don't like color.
>
> We should also take a look at `port search', which can currently produce
> enormous amounts of output. Rather than printing more than, say, 10 lines,
> we should just print the port names in columns like homebrew does.

No! Homebrew's search "functionality" is my biggest problem with it. The
columns you mentioned make it hard to read because it makes it harder to
see how they are sorted. The alphabetization seems to be in order by column
at first, but then at some random row the alphabetical order will switch
over to the next column over, instead of continuing down that same column,
with no marker to show where it happened, so you really have to be paying
attention to find where something is in a screen of search output from
Homebrew. Also I find it useful that MacPorts prints the port descriptions
when doing `port search`; to get equivalent functionality in Homebrew, you
have to tap the brew-desc repo <https://github.com/telemachus/homebrew-desc>,
and even then you have to run the `brew desc` command separately to get the
descriptions, and plus you have to constantly update `brew-desc` as well,
because the descriptions are not maintained in the main repository. Besides
it is already possible to trim down the output of `port search`: you can
just use the `-q` flag.