usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 18 18:16:04 PDT 2014

At 12:48 AM +0100 3/19/14, Clemens Lang wrote:
>[...]
>And I'm all for keeping that if there are less than, say 10 search
>results. When there are more than 10 results, ...

Much of the time, the volume of search results is inflated due to
perl, python and php subports.  (Eg, search for 'sqlite'.)  The
problem is worse (for new users) as the results are sorted strictly
in alphabetical order--you may not realize that py*-apsw,
py*-spatialite and py*-sqlite are repeated for py24, py25, py26 and
py27.  It would be no small improvement to suppress the 'duplicates'.
Let the user find out which versions are supported when they ask for
detailed information about the port.

Craig