MacPorts automake and python

Adam Mercer ram at macports.org
Thu Mar 20 12:25:00 PDT 2014

Hi

Since automake was bumped to 1.14.1_1 it can't be used to build any
python software outside of MacPorts as it always tries to install the
python modules into MacPorts prefix. I understand why we want to
ensure that ports always installs modules into the MacPorts prefix,
but I can't understand why we would force this for everything using
MacPorts python.

When I questioned this I was told that I should be using a non
MacPorts python if I don't want the modules to end up in the MacPorts
prefix? If that is the case what's the point of MacPorts? I was under
the impression that the goal of the project was to provide "an
easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either
command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the OS X
operating system". But now I'm getting told that I shouldn't be using
MacPorts but I should be installing things locally if I don't want to
install modules into the MacPorts prefix.

This change seems like a very bad idea and is surely going to cause
problems down the line, in fact at work several users have already
been bitten by this.

Cheers

Adam