of clang and gcc

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 12:01:07 PDT 2014

On Mar 18, 2014, at 12:01, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Tuesday March 18 2014 10:31:44 you wrote:
>>
>>> That’s not what the latest Phoronix tests seemed to point out (but with clang 3.4).
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=llvm34_gcc49_compilers&num=1
>>
>> I agree. Clang and GCC are pretty much neck and neck these days, as far
>> as my tests go.
>
> Seems like I'll have to run my own tests then, sometime soon.

Indeed, the difference has become very small in most of my usage cases. Small enough not to make too much of a fuss about insisting to use gcc despite the lib(std)c++ issue.

One nice thing about clang that I just discovered: with `-target x86_64-pc-linux-gnu` it will generate ELF object files ... which makes it quite easy to enlist an OS X host in a network of distcc servers when compiling on (from) my lowly netbook linux box. Or to enlist a bunch of linux hosts to compile for OS X.
Note to self: test if -target x86-pc-linux-gnu -m32|-m64 does what one would expect ...

R.