of clang and gcc

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 17:21:11 PDT 2014

On Mar 22, 2014, at 00:39, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I have no experience using Mac OS X to compile Linux executables. I don’t know if that would work. I would be extremely surprised if you could compile Mac OS X executables on Linux since you need not only the clang compiler but also all the Mac OS X libraries and frameworks, some of which are proprietary and would not be available on Linux.

Ah, but with distcc you don't have that problem. It does the pre-compilation locally (or pushes the required headers in newer applications), just as the linking step. Only the actual compilation, the conversion of stand-alone code to an object file is done remotely. And since clang/llvm apparently has a compiler/assembler stage that doesn't need to be built specifically (at least not as long as one remains on the same architecture) that just works without any hassles other than ensuring that everyone builds for the same target.

R.