A smarter migration behaviour (was Re: usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?)

Davor Cubranic cubranic at stat.ubc.ca
Sat Mar 22 11:48:08 PDT 2014

The amount of traffic to this list that comes down to “you need to run the migration steps from the [Migration] page” is astounding, and it must be a real drain on the time of those who by now must have answered hundreds of such questions.

It seems to me like we could go a long way toward solving the problem by:

1. saving at install time the output of `uname -r` (OS release) into a file in /opt/local/etc/macports/
2. every time `port` is run, compare the stored with the current value and stop with an error message if they differ (or more likely if they differ in more than the patch level)

The error message could direct the user to the Migration page. (Even better if we had a new `port` action to perform the migration steps automatically, even if it wasn’t particularly picky whether a port is being reinstalled because it was requested or simply active at the time of the migration.)

Would this be a workable solution or am I missing something?

Davor