MacPorts Statistics (was Re: usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?)

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Mar 22 12:04:03 PDT 2014

Hi,

> Just a concerned question:
> 	Why is that database given away to anyone who asks?

I agree this is a valid question; let's discuss that before I hand out
any statistics data. However, there are other parts of the database besides
the schema that are rather hard to setup (e.g. the database of ports).

> Sure, there are only 10 users who have committed all their information to
> Clemens’ server neverpanic.de, but I don’t see why information like that
> shall be spread even further.

The plus of information you'd get from a dump that you currently cannot see
on the web interface is the connection between a user's UUID and the ports
he installed. You cannot drill down on users in the current web interface,
even if the data allows doing that.
I think however, that's a feature we don't want to support, and maybe I
should not be handing out the statistics data (you can generate some for
your own local tests) but just the data from the categories and ports
tables.

--
Clemens Lang