Migration question and binary question

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Thu May 8 15:26:08 PDT 2014

On May 8, 2014, at 2:42 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Jerry <lanceboyle at qwest.net> wrote:
> I just upgraded my OS to 10.9 from 10.8 and am following the instructions for migrating MacPorts at https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration.
>
> I am considering using the "Automatically reinstall ports" suggestion whereby a script is downloaded which script then works with a previously saved myports.txt. If I do this, will the script install old versions of ports which had not been active? I'm thinking that this might be a good time to do some decrufting and I would like to consider these old inactive versions as mostly cruft and not reinstall them.
>
> I make a list of active and requested ports (port echo active and requested) and just reinstall those; it'll pull in what it needs automatically, and because I do it that way I keep the requested flags.

Thanks, Brandon.

I redirected this output to .txt files. Do you have a quick way (script) to use these echoed files during reinstallation?

> Also, I've been confused about binary versions--are there binary versions of some ports and if so I would like to install them preferentially over building from source. How do I discover the presence of a binary port and how do I install it?
>
> That happens by default, assuming you have not changed /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf; you may want to review yours against /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf.default to see what additions or changes may be there. A port will be installed from a binary archive if (a) we have a buildbot for it [so for example not for Leopard/10.5], (b) the license is compatible with binary distribution, and (c) you are using default variants.

I ran these through FileMerge which indicated 30 differences. But all the differences were in comments (and they were very large differences). But all of the "working" lines are the same.

FWIW, macports.conf.default has a creation and modification date of October 25, 2013, while macports.conf has both dates April 2, 2012. Note that at this stage I have run the .pkg installer according to https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration and links therefrom.