X windows and applications advice

James Griffin jpg88 at icloud.com
Tue May 20 03:27:05 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I wanted to run some xterms earlier and found I needed to install
XQuartz. Then I remembered (possibly incorrectly) that I could use X11
built using Macports.

Would you say using the X11 implementation is better in terms of using
and availability of X applications, many of which I will install using
Macports? I mean, the applications from Macports, are they able to be
used on XQuartz X server, I'm guessing they can be.

I'm not experienced with X11 on Mac computers really so I apologise if
this is a silly question.

Thanks, Jamie.