Setting locale

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Thu May 22 07:39:38 PDT 2014

Hi guys,

I apologize for wasting your time with such basic question, but how do I set the locale (systemwide) in MacPorts?

I’m running MacPorts on OS X 10.9.3, and every time I try to run an X application I get the message:

$ xeyes
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Mostly, things still work, but it’s annoying. I checked, and I have:

$ locale
LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_ALL=

Especially, LC_CTYPE="UTF-8” seems suspicious, as “UTF-8” doesn’t seem to be a valid specification. I have never set those, so I wonder how they get set in the first place. I understand I could just reset them all one by one, but I’d like to get a more general solution.

Thanks,
Gustavo Seabra