MacPorts 2.3.0 has been released

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat May 24 08:55:49 PDT 2014

Hi,

> What's the interest of doing that - if libc++ on >= 10.9 makes it all but
> impossible to use gcc on C++ code, doesn't the same (or rather, the
> inverse) apply on OS X < 10.9?

It can be used to build a complete MacPorts world against libc++ on 10.8 and
maybe even 10.7. I haven't tried this, though – and it's completely
unsupported.

> But, trying to use libc++ on previous OS X versions where it was not the
> default could lead to other problems, if there are in fact system libraries
> that use libc++ and we want to use any of those system libraries from a
> port.

There was a discussion about this on the -dev list a while back, and I
checked that only a single system library exports a C++ API and links against
libstdc++. Please search the archives for more details.

> I think the option mostly exists to let developers experiment with these
> possibilities more easily.

Exactly.

--
Clemens Lang