xcode-select --install fails

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Sun May 25 09:10:14 PDT 2014

Trying to update MacPorts and find that I'm getting a network failure message from xcode.

"xcode-select --install" or "sudo xcode-select --install"

Yields a pop-up:

"The 'xcode-select' command requires the command line developer tools. would you like to instll the tools now?"

Ok, as expected... however, when clicking "Install"
after the EULA
it pauses a moment, pops up "Getting software" and the barber-pole then...
"Can't download the software because of a network problem."

===
Any guesses on what is happening?

There is also a related issue being discussed on the Apple Support Forums.
When I launch the App store, and click updates, it pops up:

"NSURLErrorDomain error -1012"

===
https://discussions.apple.com/message/24647716#24647716

One of the current postings on that thread posted 2 hours ago stated:

I encountered the same error while attempting to update a brand new iMac this morning.

After contacting Apple Support, I was told that the App store was brought down for unscheduled maintenance. This was not reflected on the Apple Status web page BTW. I was told to retry updating via the App Store in a few hours.

While some updates (iWork) did complete, the "error has occurred" message continue to display between updates. The other symptom was that my new iMac was not detecting that OS X 10.9 was in need of an update to 10.9.2.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.9.3
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.9.3

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com