Idle (Python) on OS X Mavericks

Jamie Paul Griffin jpg88 at icloud.com
Tue May 27 04:02:42 PDT 2014

Hi everyone

Ok, I’ve got python2.7 and 3.4 from Macports installed. I’m trying to use idle but the error printed is:

** IDLE can’t import Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for tk **

I also installed the py34-tkinter port as I believe this port contains the required libraries for Idle. The same error is printed.

Could it be a $PATH issue or missing libraries issue or both?

PATH is currently set to:

/Users/jamie/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/Users/jamie/bin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/texbin

Some repetition of directories but that shouldn’t cause a problem (I don’t think)

Would anyone be able to offer some advice/info?

Many thanks.

Jamie.