Macports propietary

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue May 27 18:51:13 PDT 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Pedro Grima Guallart <PGRIMA at telefonica.net
> wrote:

> I can't copy my TimeMachine folder (Backups.backupdb) to another disk
> because the proprietary is macports. I can't fix this neither using
> information window nursing BatChmod application (attached captions).
> May you help me?

(The proper translation there is "owner"; the closest-by-derivation English
word would be "proprietor", and "proprietary" has a meaning which is rather
confusing when used in this context!)

Are you doing this as an administrator? If so, the Finder should be asking
for your administrator password in order to move it ... although this has
in the past been rather buggy. I prefer using sudo and something that is
guaranteed to copy everything appropriately (ditto or rsync; not cp and
most certainly NOT tar!).

Just moving a Time Machine backup database around can be difficult anyway
because Time Machine sets custom ACLs on everything in it.