The crazy thing I did to fix Yosemite performance

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 06:24:21 PST 2014

Thanks René,

 Your answer (and Dominik’s) are reassuring, and I think I’ll bit the bullet this weekend.

Thanks a lot!
Gustavo Seabra

Em 04/11/2014, à(s) 08:48, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> escreveu:

> On Tuesday November 04 2014 08:08:17 Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>
> Is this the 1st time you'll be doing an upgrade? Know then that I've run upgrades (rather than clean installs) since 10.2, the only time I really used the Migration Assistant being when my 10.4 Powerbook died and I had to buy a Macbook Pro with 10.6 preinstalled. I've had a few issues with the 10.6 -> 10.9 upgrade, but nothing you're likely to run into with a standard installation that probably hasn't been used (and isn't carrying as much "history" and personal tweaks) as my 10.6 install.

This is not my first upgrade but, except for the Spotlight working extra hard to index the files for the first day or two, I never had the sort of problems described here. So I became a bit worried about this update.

> The only general advice I can give you is to skip .0 releases, but wait a couple of point updates for blatant issues to be resolved. That also leaves time for the MacPorts people to polish the upgrade process where required, and for maintainers to publish port updates. One should never be in a hurry to jump to the supposedly-latest-and-greatest if what one has works just fine.

OK, I guess I’ll just wait a bit longer than. I can’t afford to have my computer out for even a couple of days now.

> Oh, and be sure to have a full backup. The easiest way to get out of trouble should anything go wrong during an upgrade is to make a fresh clone of your whole boot disk to an external disk. Use Carbon Copy Cloner for that. If anything goes wrong you'll have the option to boot from that external disk, and even clone it back (which will be faster than using the Apple tools for restoring a TimeMachine copy).

I see that Carbon Copy Cloner is a paid app, but there seems to be an older free version here:
http://files.bombich.com/ccc-3.4.7.dmg

I may just try that one.

> And "anything that goes wrong" can also be long after you did the upgrade. Macs have always provided an incredibly easy way to create a bootable external harddisk (or thumb drive) and boot from it, everyone who is the least concerned about being able to repair or simply maintain the main boot disk should make use of that.

Can you tell me which tool is that?

> (It's a very good idea to run DiskWarrior or iDefrag or even just Disk Utilities' repair function on the boot disk from time to time, and that requires booting from another disk.)

Thanks!

Gustavo.