MacPorts' cvs does not honor case-sensitivity of FS

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri andreas.kahari at bils.se
Fri Nov 7 05:24:36 PST 2014

Hi,

I’m serving the NetBSD pkgsrc CVS tree to some internal nodes from an Apple iMac computer running MacPorts.

On a case-sensitive disk image: I rsync the CVS tree from a mirror site (this seems to be irrelevant), I CVS update a checkout of the now local CVS tree, and I rsync the checkout to the internal nodes. The reason for doing it this way is that a local CVS update + rsync is several times quicker than doing the CVS update over the net (even internally).

This is an example of what I see:

$ pwd -P
/Volumes/NetBSD-pkgsrc/pkgsrc/finance
$ cat CVS/Root
/Volumes/NetBSD-pkgsrc/pkgsrc-cvs
$ rm -rf p5-Finance-Quote
$ cvs -q up -dP
U p5-Finance-Quote/DESCR
U p5-Finance-Quote/Makefile
U p5-Finance-Quote/distinfo
$ cvs -q up -dP
? p5-Finance-Quote
$ which cvs
/opt/local/bin/cvs

There was once a port called “p5-finance-quote” (all lower-cased) that was later renamed. There are a few other directories that have the same problem.

I’m also unable to check out the “cvs” port:

$ pwd -P
/Volumes/NetBSD-pkgsrc/pkgsrc/devel
$ cvs -q up -dP cvs
cvs update: warning: directory cvs specified in argument
cvs update: but CVS uses CVS for its own purposes; skipping cvs directory

On this filesystem, “cvs” and “CVS” ought to be able to exist in the same directory.
In fact:
$ mkdir cvs
$ ls -F -ldi cvs CVS
1077885 drwxr-xr-x  2 akk  staff  170 Nov  7 13:59 CVS/
1386192 drwxr-xr-x  2 akk  staff   68 Nov  7 14:17 cvs/

This makes me believe that the cvs binary actually explicitly ignore case, even though the filesystem is case-sensitive.

Any way I/someone can fix this?

Cheers,
Andreas

--