Statically linked binaries killed by signal 9 on Yosemite

Qianqian Fang fangqq at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 08:51:26 PST 2014

hi everyone

I have compiled a set of binaries on previous versions of Mac (mostly
OSX 10.6) with macports gcc/g++ using static linking, and thought that
these binaries will be supported in the future versions of MacOS.
However, several users of my software package reported failure on
Yosemite. They received "killed by signal 9" error and the binaries can
not be started. I haven't upgraded my Mac to Yosemite. Wondering if
anyone can provide any insight what might be wrong.

One sample binary can be downloaded from this link:

http://sourceforge.net/p/iso2mesh/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/iso2mesh/bin/cgalmesh.mexmaci64?format=raw

despite the suffix, this file is actually a native executable compiled
on Mac for x86_64 processors. If you run

file cgalmesh.mexmaci64

you will see "cgalmesh.mexmaci64: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64". The
output of "otool -L cgalmesh.mexmaci64" shows it is a statically linked
executable.

However, when you run "./cgalmesh.mexmaci64", it is immediately killed
by the OS. This only happens on Yosemite.

Does anything know what might be wrong?

thanks

Qianqian