Statically linked binaries killed by signal 9 on Yosemite

Qianqian Fang fangqq at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 07:56:13 PST 2014

On 11/15/2014 12:20 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 12:17 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com
> <mailto:rjvbertin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Have you asked your users to start the executable in the debugger
>     to see if the SIGTERM results from an abort function being called
>     or something else?
>

> 9 is SIGKILL, not SIGTERM.
>
> I am under the impression that Apple doesn't like fully static
> executables any more; it's possible that 10.10 just refuses to run
> them now. Console.app might show what's going on.

after asking my users to check out the Console.app logs, the actual error
was identified as :

11/15/14 10:04:37.000 AM kernel[0]: Cannot enforce a hard page-zero for
./cgalmesh.mexmaci64

following this message, I found a relevant previous discussion

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26351831/os-x-app-that-runs-on-10-6-to-10-9-doesnt-run-on-10-10-yosemite-why

so, it looks like I am not alone. valgrind has a similar problem too

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.bugs/1553705

now, I guess the question is to find a way to fix the problem
while keeping the binaries' backward compatibility.

any more suggestions?

Qianqian