Virtual machines and OS X

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Mon Nov 17 07:08:55 PST 2014

At 7:20 AM -0800 11/17/14, Michael wrote:
>I'd like to know what VM's are able to run OS X, and how well.

I tried VirtualBox without success.  Parallels Desktop 9 has worked
well for me.  All I want to do is use MacPorts in the VM's to test
building/installing/testing software (MythTV) under different OS
versions.

>First, being able to run 10.6 as a guest -- it's my understanding
>that this was technically possible, but restricted by the license,
>and the main VM's check for and refuse to run this. (Sniff ... PPC
>programs ... photoshop elements, quickbooks, appleworks (well, that
>last one is no longer needed :-).)

There is 10.6 Server and 10.6 (not Server, aka 'Client').  10.6
Server's licensing permits using it in a Virtual Machine.  When I
bought it, 1.5 years ago, there was a 1-800 number to call and order
it.  (~$20, few days for delivery.)  Donno if it is still available
or if you have to purchase via eBay, etc, now.  Parallels Desktop
will refuse to install the non-server version.

>Second, 10.7 -- ...

Donno, I've got 10.6 Server and 10.9 VM's.  Parallels Desktop
provides a shared folder between the host and each guest but I don't
think that is what you are talking about.

Speaking of the shared folder, I tried to point the MacPorts port
tree to a folder on the host.  SVN couldn't update from the guest
(can't remember the error message).  I believe the Parallels Desktop
driver lacks some necessary feature.  Does anyone have a solution for
sharing one port tree amongst various VM instances?  I'd like to be
able to work on building in one VM and then test deployment in
another without having to commit/sync a bunch of different trees.

Craig