Virtual machines and OS X

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Mon Nov 17 10:07:15 PST 2014

Hi Michael,

eventually I had to purchase Parallels 9 because VirtualBox wouldn’t allow
to successfully run Mavericks guests on my Mavericks host running on an i7-iMac.

Parallels usually works fine if you _disable_ power saving on the guests!!

Sometimes but I experience hanging guests! Only chance to recover from that is
to kill the VM in question from within the host system and restart it (which
means a cold reboot). This usually happens when there is a lot of load with
e.g. two VMs running with 7 cores each on the i7 (which has 8 real cores only).
This can also happen when you’re creating a snapshot, while the 2nd machine is
very busy.

Sometimes also the keyboard’s CAPSLOCK is engaged, although the keyboard’s
CAPSLOCK LED isn’t lit. Recovering from that you will be pressing the key a
couple of times until the LED is back in sync with what you type.

Greets,
Marko