gcc49 vs gcc48

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Nov 18 08:59:10 PST 2014

On Nov 18, 2014, at 11:40 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Exact. I was expecting gcc to be non-distributable due to it being GPL ... but I'm not complaining :)

The GPL does not prohibit binary distribution.

> On Tuesday November 18 2014 10:01:25 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> There is no mention of any gcc dependency in the kfilemetadata port.
>
> Nope, yet:
>
> #> port rdepend gcc48
> The following ports are dependent on gcc48:
>  QtCurve
>  gdb
>  kde4-breeze
>  kde4-oxygen
>  kdenlive
>  kdevelop-git
>  kdevplatform-git
>  kfilemetadata
>    baloo
>      baloo-widgets
>    nepomuk-core
>      kactivities
>        kate
>          kde4-kile
>        kde4-runtime
>          digikam
>          kde4-baseapps
>            ark
>              kdeutils4
>            konsole
>          kdepim4
>          kdepim4-runtime
>          kmymoney4
>          skrooge
>        kde4-workspace
>        okular
>        rekonq
>      kdepimlibs4
>        kdepimlibs4-kioslaves
>        kgpg
>        konversation
>        kuser
>          kdeadmin
>        libkgapi
>      nepomuk-widgets
>  libical
>  openmpi-default
>    arpack
>  xapian-core
>
> From what I can see those are all ports I built with gcc-mp-4.8 because doing the reverse lookup doesn't show any dependency on gcc ..

Yes, setting configure.compiler to "macports-gcc-4.8" automatically adds a library dependency on gcc48, although it's not clear to me why a dependency on libgcc wouldn't be sufficient.

Be aware that manually choosing your own compiler is not supported.

vq