gcc49 vs gcc48

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 09:57:55 PST 2014

On 18/11/14 17:53, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday November 18 2014 11:59:10 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>

>> The GPL does not prohibit binary distribution.
>
> No, but I was under the impression that Apple doesn't want to distribute GPLed binaries. As I said, I'm not complaining.
>
>> Yes, setting configure.compiler to "macports-gcc-4.8" automatically adds a library dependency on gcc48, although it's not clear to me why a dependency on libgcc wouldn't be sufficient.
>
> And it's apparently not a hard dependency; no errors are generated after force-deactivating gcc48, no reinstalls forced etc.
>
>> Be aware that manually choosing your own compiler is not supported.
>
> Whatever, as long as configure.compiler=X is supported :)

Its supported in as much as the option is there...

Its not support in the sense there are no guarantees as to whether
things will work properly if you use it to change the compiler from what
the portfile has been setup to use by the port maintainer. Specifically,
forcing the use of gcc to build c++ code is very problematic due to the
much discussed runtime issues, and consequently very unsupported.