gcc49 vs gcc48

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 10:30:40 PST 2014

On Tuesday November 18 2014 18:16:53 Chris Jones wrote:

> > This is on 10.6.8, where the C++ runtime issues are in fact more with clang. Using a recent GCC is the only sort-of-reliable way to build C++11 code.
>
> Not true. In the ROOT6 port we use MacPorts clang (3.4) compiler on
> OSX<10.9 in order to support c++11. using clang as opposed to gcc is
> better as it avoids the c++ runtime issue better (not entirely but much
> better).

I recall a recent discussion explaining why/how C++11 support in clang 3.4 was less complete than in GCC. In any case I can't get kdevplatform and kdevelop to build with clang 3.4 on OS X 10.6.8 (on 10.9 it works fine), but gcc 4.8 and 4.9 have no issues.

Also, I don't think there's a C++ runtime issue on 10.6.8 (or rather, it's the opposite; using libc++ is neigh impossible).

R.